This week a Facebook group called The SURGE Movement somehow was able to make enough noise that Coca-Cola decided to bring back everyone’s favorite neon green ’90s beverage.
This now begs the question of what other retro sodas or beverages would you like to see make a comeback?
While I don’t really drink soda that often anymore, here are the ones I would love to see join the SURGE phenomenon and make a comeback.
1. MR. PIBB
The poor man’s Dr. Pepper.
2. RC COLA
I had a friend growing up who’s house was always stocked with bottles and bottle of RC COLA. That might be the only place I ever had it now that I think about it.
3. CRYSTAL PEPSI
A perfect example of how a cheap gimmick can fool all of us sheep. At least for a little while. “Look it’s CLEAR! How did they do that?! Amazing!”
4. JOLT COLA
Ah yes. The original energy drink before energy drinks were cool. “. Ahead of it’s time. Until it was slayed by 8oz can nonsense.
5. OK SODA
If you don’t remember this, you are not alone. An early ’90s soda that only lasted on the shelves for a few years. But if you do remember it you know how cool and interesting their whole marketing campagin was. It was really a soda made for the internet generation, before there was an internet generation.
They even had their own manifesto! If there is any soda I would bring back it’s this one.
OK Soda Manifesto
1. What’s the point ok OK? Well, what’s the point of anything?
2. OK Soda emphatically rejects anything that is not OK, and fully supports anything that is.
3. The better you understand something, the more OK it turns out to be.
4. OK Soda says, “Don’t be fooled into thinking there has to be a reason for everything.”
5. OK Soda reveals the surprising truth about people and situations.
6. OK Soda does not subscribe to any religion, or endorse any political party, or do anything other than feel OK.
7. There is no real secret to feeling OK.
8. OK Soda may be the preferred drink of other people such as yourself.
9. Never underestimate the remarkable abilities of “OK” brand soda.
10. Please wake up every morning knowing that things are going to be OK.
Yes, those little rubber-like fish egg looking balls felt really odd in your mouth and going down, but much like Crystal Pepsi a cheap gimmick will be consumed by the masses almost always.
A favorite go-to of mine in my middle school cafeteria. I’m not sure why? They were SO sugary and terrible.
8. MOUNTAIN DEW CODE RED
I drank this by the case through high school and some of college. Just a fantastic soda. I waited tables for a while during that time and this was on tap in the restaurant! A soda my dentist definitely hated me for drinking.