Even winter lovers have their limits and this particular winter lover wants this cold weather to END. However, this particular cold front brings more than promises of hypothermia and frost bite. It also means increased chances for carbon monoxide poisoning.
CT Post reports that severely cold weather does increase carbon monoxide poisoning. We crank the heat because we need it. But, health officials want us to know what kind of risks blasting our heat brings.
The Department of Public Health issued a warning to all oil, liquid propane, natural gas or wood and pellet stove owners. They said it’s crucial that someone inspected and cleaned your heating system within the past year. By not servicing your system, it increases the odds of carbon monoxide building in your home.
It’s a silent killer because it’s a colorless and odorless gas. Sometimes, poisoning is symptom-less as well. So, it’s critical to install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. It’s your only line of defense.
The DPH explains why you should install them:
“It is very important to have a working carbon monoxide alarm in your living space because the deadly gas can enter your home by getting in around window casings, door frames and any penetrations through outside walls.”
The DPH recommends installing an alarm by your bedrooms, where you spend the most time, and also near the furnace as an early warning system. They also advise you test it regularly.
So, if you don’t have a detector in your home, buy one. They’re, like, 20 bucks at Home Depot.
The DPH says symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning somewhat resembles the flu. Those suffering from the poison feel lightheaded and sleepy, and sometimes have headaches. If you and your family suddenly all come down with these symptoms, book it out of your home and call 911.
Make sure you grab the pets, too, if you have any.
Long-term exposure to the gas results in brain damage and even death.
For more information on the subject, please call 860-509-7740.