Losing weight is the most common resolution in America, because if you haven’t heard, we’re fat. Trulia.com, a real estate site, released a study ranking the areas with the best odds of losing weight and Fairfield County ranks #2 on the list. It also has the highest density of gyms in the entire U.S.
Trulia.com weighed five different measures to determine which areas are best for weight loss:
- Eating healthier food. They divided “slow food” establishments (supermarkets, specialty food markets, and full-service restaurants) by “fast food” establishments (convenience stores and fast-food restaurants). Metros with more “slow food” and less “fast food” scored higher.
- Commuting to work. The percentage of residents who bike or walk to work on a daily basis, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Hitting the gym. The number of gyms, health clubs and fitness centers per 1,000 households.
- Enjoying the outdoors. To get a measure of all of the outdoor sports opportunities in a metro, they used the number of sporting-goods stores per 1,000 households.
- Join a program. The number of weight-loss and diet centers (i.e. Weight Watchers) per 1,000 households in metro areas across the United States.
9) Peabody, Massachusetts