By: Peter McAleer | CT BOOM STAFF
Atlanta-based franchise Chick-Fil-A is expanding in a big way. They’ve recently decided to add four more locations to the 1,700 they already have. Normally, this wouldn’t be newsworthy but what makes it special is that these four restaurants will be the first ever Chick-Fil-A’s in Connecticut. It’s an especially big deal because before Chick-Fil-A reached an agreement to open up stores in Brookfield, Danbury, Enfield, and Wallingford, the closest restaurant was in Paramus, New Jersey. Whether you’re a Chick-Fil-A virgin or not, here are some things you may or may not have known about it.
1. Chick-Fil-A is Closed on Sundays
Yep. And it’s always been that way. Founder S. Truett Cathy was a devout Christian who became famous for not compromising any of his moral & religious beliefs in his business. As a result, Chick-Fil-A will remain closed on the Sabbath day.
2. Chick-Fil-A is controversial
While on the Ken Coleman show in June of 2012, in reference to what constitutes a marriage, Chick-Fil-A president Dan Cathy said “I think we are inviting God’s judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage’. I pray God’s mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about.” Cathy made another controversial claim a month later about his support of the “traditional family”, a family in which there is a heterosexual, married couple, who have their own kids.
3. Chick-Fil-A has donated over 68 million dollars to charitable organizations
These donations include food donations, disaster relief, and military appreciation.
4. Chick-Fil-A has also donated over 10 million dollars to the Pennsylvania Family Institute and Winshape Foundation; Two organizations that do not support same-sex marriage.
5. Chick-Fil-A has actually profited since Cathy’s statements
Profits went from $4.6 to $5 billion in 2013 after Cathy’s claims in late 2012.
6. Chick-Fil-A has been trying to make their ingredients healthier for several years
They’ve been progressively getting rid of high fructose products as well as antibiotics and other artificial products.
7. Chick-Fil-A’s recipe has not changed in 50 years
In fact, the original, hand-written recipe is still locked in a safe at the Atlanta headquarters
8. Chick-Fil-A grants the first 100 customers a year’s worth of chicken sandwich meals when they open up a new store.
Top Image: Facebook