This cold weather is no joke. You have to show caution when you go outside at anytime during these freezing temperatures.
Here are some tips when dealing with the cold.
Here are a few tips on dealing with the extreme cold:
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, warm clothing. Trapped air between layers of clothing will provide insulation to keep you warm.
- The exterior layer should be tightly woven and water repellent.
- Cover your mouth to protect your lungs from inhaling cold air. Breathing in freezing air can lead to chest pains, a sporadic distribution of oxygen from the lungs, and can trigger asthma attacks.
- Wear properly fitted winter boots. Boots that are too tight can limit or cut off circulation to the feet and toes. Also, choose a boot that’s insulated and has treads on the bottom for traction on ice and snow.
- Get out of wet clothing as soon as possible.
- Stay hydrated. The body uses a lot of energy to keep itself warm. Drinking plenty of fluids is important because your body will need frequent replenishing when fighting off the cold.
- Reverse your ceiling fan to funnel warm air back downwards.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated.
- Add weather strips to windows and/or doors, if you think they’re not properly insulated.